Friday, September 11, 2015

Using Writing as a Tool for Learning

I never really understood what writing to learn actually meant. I have heard the term quite a few times this year but I never got an actual explanation of the meaning, until I read the online essay Writing to Learn. After reading that, I got a pretty clear understanding of what writing to learn meant, and I realize exactly how I have used writing as a tool for learning.

I have used the "pen in hand" tactic, talked about in the essay, quite a few times. Whenever I read something and I come across words I don't know, I write them down and look up the meaning. The same goes for when I need a better understanding of what I have just read. I will jot down key notes from the reading and extend my research off those notes. Even though I didn't know it then, I know it now. I use writing as a tool for learning. Writing is what helps me get a better understanding of what I read. Writing is the most essential tool for learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment