Saturday, August 29, 2015

Writing to Learn.

I want to start with a little bit of my writing background. Now I must admit, writing has never been my forte. I have struggled with writing ever since I was in middle school. Its not that I didn't like writing, it was just always hard for me. I had trouble with catching the readers attention, staying on topic, I even had a little trouble with punctuation. Whenever the teacher would go over the writing assignment, I was the student that raised their hand after every explanation to get a further explanation. Yeah, I was that student. I would even stay after school to get some extra help with my papers. After doing that for a while and still not making an A on a paper, I asked my mom the get me a tutor and she did. I met with my tutor twice a week to practice writhing. I must say that that was one of the best thing my mom did for me in all my school years. My tutor helped me with writing better than my own teacher. She gave me a better understanding of the entire writing process. My tutor even said the same thing Mr. Hamon said on the first day of class. In order to get better at writing you must write everyday. We write to learn, so write everyday. Now, did I write everyday? No. So I thought. She said write to learn and I was. I took  notes everyday in class. Writing notes helped me learn. So I kind of thought it was the same thing. I say all this to say,  I do believe writing is the most essential way to learning. With every subject we study we have to write. Notes, and paper or anything we write. And I must admit, I do get better at it every time I write.  When I got in Mr. Hamons class and he said we were going to be writing everyday, all I could do was think back to my writing days in middle school. I wasn't really excited about that at first, but I started to think of this as being a second opportunity to become a proficient writer. I am glad that I am taking this writing class and I cant believe I'm saying this, but I am looking forward to learning new writing skills in this class this year.

2 comments:

  1. I had a similar experience as you. Growing up I never really appreciated writing and definitely did not enjoy it. Though in high school I had the same literature teacher two years in a row and he completely changed my view on the writing concept. He helped me become a better writer which took lots of practice. Though your experience was through a tutor mine was through a teacher who changed my outlook on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You say you are not a writer, but your post says otherwise. You wrote a substantial post and wrote rather well. Good.

    ReplyDelete